Wednesday, September 14, 2005

New Orleans and other tragedies

The recent destruction of many parts of the South, including New Orleans, has left many people stunned, feeling vulnerable. It is hard enough to those poor people who were directly affected, but the rest of the nation is also in fear that it could happen to me. I don't know that I could at to the voluminous commentary about these tragic events, but I want to try.

I don't believe playing the blaming game right now is the right thing to do. There is still much to do to help those who are suffering. This is an event that should transcend politics. Focus on those who need help!

And after the help is rendered, after the kind people of the world have finished picking up the pieces, the bickering and arguing can resume, I suppose.

The anniversary for 9/11 just happened. I remember where I was when I first heard it was happening. I was at work, and everyone just stopped working and turned on the news. We watched as the second tower was hit, and stared in horror as bodies fell, and teared up when the towers fell. The anniversary was somewhat forgotten under the weight of the current events, and that is understandable.

Horrible things happen in this world, some man-made and some natural. I don't know about other people, but when things like this happen, I am reminded how weak our grip on civilization is and how much is outside our direct control. Mortality faces all of us and we never know when it will strike. It is time to stop worrying about petty concerns and pay more attention to the more important things in life. Pay more attention to friends and family. Do something nice for a stranger. Help remove some of the misery found in abundance around you. Make this world a better place.

Yes, this is the idealist in me speaking. Sometimes, I have to let that part have its say. I know the human race can be better than it is. We all have to make an effort, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home